SASMI…There for You Later
Although most members know SASMI for its assistance during their careers, SASMI is also “there for you later” — as in, during your retirement.
The SASMI benefits you may be eligible to receive in retirement depend on when you worked in the industry and when you retired.
- HCRA (or HCRA B) – You’re eligible if you worked after 2010 and then retired.
- Service-Based HCRA (previously called the retiree health premium benefit) – You may also be eligible for this benefit. If you retired after 2010, this amount was combined with the HCRA amount. If you retired prior to 2010, you may have a retiree health premium benefit remaining.
- Severance Benefit – If you worked prior to 2010 and retired after 2010, you may be eligible for a severance benefit.
SASMI retiree benefits are available to members who are eligible for a pension from the Sheet Metal Workers’ National Pension Plan or another SMART Local Union defined benefit pension plan (including a defined contribution plan) and who are not current employees with a sheet metal industry employer. If you stop working in covered employment before retirement, you may also be eligible for a benefit if you leave active employment but before you are eligible to receive a pension. For details, see the Plan Document.
Note that there are additional eligibility rules for each specific benefit.
Retiree Death Benefit
Death Benefits are available after retirement for a period of time based on your yours of Future Service Credit. Your named beneficiary may be eligible to receive a Death Benefit from SASMI if:
- You were eligible for both SASMI active benefits and for the HCRA when you retired; and
- You would have been eligible for the Death Benefit as an active participant if you had died the day before you retired; and
- Your beneficiary files the appropriate paperwork within a year of your death.
Amount of Benefit
Benefit based on time since retirement
|Years of Future Service Credit||First 12 months (year 1) after retirement||Months 13 -24 (year 2) after retirement||Months 25 -36 (year 3) after retirement||Months 37 -48 (year 4) after retirement||Months 49 -60 (year 5) after retirement|
|5 – 9.5||$5,000||$0||$0||$0||$0|
|10 – 14.5||$10,000||$5,000||$0||$0||$0|
|15 – 19.5||$20,000||$13,333||$6,667||$0||$0|
|20 – 24.5||$30,000||$22,500||$15,000||$7,500||$0|
|25 – 29.5||$40,000||$32,000||$24,000||$16,000||$8,000|
Returning To Work
If you retire, then return to work and you re-establish eligibility for SASMI active benefits, you will not be eligible for most SASMI active benefits, like the Supplemental Unemployment/Underemployment Benefit, the Welfare Benefit, the Travel Benefit, or the Death Benefit. However, you will be eligible for the Annual Physical Benefit and other “non-deduct” benefits available to active participants.
Contributions made to SASMI on your behalf when you return to work will be applied to your HCRA.